One of Nigeria’s finest in the game of football Austin Okocha has let the cat out of the bag about the harsh realities of his past and what he is presently doing with the future.
In an exclusive interview with NAIJ.com Sports, the midfield maestro revealed five things you would want to know about him
1. He retired too early from the game – As we all know that the mercurial midfielder called it quits when Nigeria still needed his services, Jay Jay disclosed that he had to come to terms with his predicament before he made his decision.
2. He has started his philanthropic organization – The Jay-Jay Okocha Foundation was launched in Lagos and the former Nigerian skipper said his Non-Governmental (NGO) cuts across all age groups.
The foundation will encourage young people to play football and get an education also empowering potential coaches through clinics from their partners in the United Kingdom.
3. The Foundation is in partnership with an online medium – Interestingly an online marketing company is collaborating with the Jay-Jay Okocha Foundation and the official launching of both parties was unveiled in Lagos.
The occasion was witnessed by Ex-internationals like Augustine Eguavoen, Peter Rufai, Mutiu Adepoju and other reputable dignitaries.
4. Okocha prefers administrative duties to coaching – The footballing genius described that his present profession gives him the freedom to do other productive things rather than coaching that is restrictive in nature.
“I think I’m enjoying my freedom, you can’t say never. I’m not thinking towards that direction,” he stated authoritively.
5. He regrets not giving back early – Okocha made it clear that he feels sorry for not giving immediately he ended his playing career but has promised to make amends by expressing his generosity to the needy and privilege Nigerians.