Nigeria is the second largest importer of rice in the world, buying at least two million metric tons per year from exporting countries like China and Thailand. In Nigeria, the demand for rice has been on the increase since the mid 1970s and it is the major staple food and it is eaten almost every day in many homes. The most common type of rice seen majorly in every home is the polished rice which has gone through many processes before becoming a final product. And because it is our job to inform you, NAIJALIKERZ has put together 11 interesting facts about ofada rice you should know…
1. Ofada’ rice is one of the locally produced rice. It is short, robust, with brown stripes because it is cultivated without chemicals.
2. It got its name from ‘Ofada’ a small community in Obafemi Owode Local Government Area in Ogun State.
3. After harvesting ‘ofada’ rice, it is left to soak in water for 5 – 7 days, before it is parboiled, sun-dried then sold.
4. Studies have revealed that both the white and brown rice contain similar amounts of energy, carbohydrates and protein. However, brown or ofada rice contains higher amounts of vitamins and minerals.
5. Ofada rice is a diet rich in whole grains, meaning it contains a large amount of fiber.
6. It contains selenium which has been shown to reduce the likelihood of colon cancer. The high amount of fiber in the rice accelerates the transit of cancer-causing chemicals in the gastro-intestinal tract, and thus can help protect against colon cancer.
7. Phyto-nutrient lignan contents helps in defending against chest cancer and heart disease. A study on elderly women proved that eating whole grain foods such as unpolished rice increases the levels of enterolactone, which have been reported to be associated with a reduced risk of chest cancer.
8. Being high in fiber, it helps to reduce the risk of heart disease. Brown rice lowers blood pressure and reduces the risk of plaque build-up in the arteries, thereby helping to prevent the developing of heart disease.
9. Ofada rice is a great source of magnesium, which is essential to maintain healthy bones. One cup of ofada rice provides nearly 21% of the recommended daily intake of magnesium. Magnesium is also required for absorption of calcium, another essential nutrient for bone health.
10. According to a study published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology, foods high in insoluble fiber helps in reducing the risk of gallstones in women.
11. Brown rice is rich in manganese which is necessary for a healthy nervous system. The nutrient also aids in the production of s*x hormones by synthesizing fatty acids and producing cholesterol.
So guys , lets eat healthy, lets buy Nigerian!!!
- Music8 months ago
[MUSIC] Ash – No 1
- 18+5 months ago
[MUST READ] S3x with the wrong guy
- Video10 months ago
[VIDEO] Niniola – Designer ft. Sarz
- Music4 months ago
[MUSIC] DJ Neptune X Zlatan – English Teacher
- Music2 weeks ago
[MUSIC] Zlatan – Quilox
- Naija News1 week ago
An abusive Grandma bathes children with pepper for eating without permission
- Others1 week ago
Tenant who defaulted on his rent, destroys landlord’s property after being issued a quit notice
- Foreign1 week ago
OMG! Iran Mistakenly Shot Down Ukraine Jet – 176 Confirmed Dead